Just to provide some ‘context‘ for this website, it’s primary purpose is to serve as my personal blog. I have no intent to monetize any of my services through ads or affiliate marketing, but donations are accepted (see footer below). The current topics in order of anticipated content volume are as follows:
- Recipes (primarily focused on slow-cooking and chicken-based recipes): These are all recipes that I’ve made at least once, and can attest to the fact that they aren’t disgusting. That being said, I imagine my standards for quality in food are not particularly high.
- Ramblings: These can be self-contained thought experiments, related to philosophy or psychology. They can also be just a subset of the other categories where I made a post that goes into a lot of additional detail.
- Maxims: Simple phrases that I repeat to myself to keep me sane in my day-to-day life.
- Privacy: Posts related to privacy, and hopefully information on how to actually improve your privacy.
That being said, the blog itself doesn’t have much of a dedicated theme, and the topics will likely fluctuate quite a bit as time moves on.
Based on the name of the site, I also figured it’d be a good idea to include some recommendations on how to improve both your privacy and/or security right here on the home page. The recommendations listed below are all things that I use personally (unless otherwise specified).
Vital Software & Services:
These are links to software and services that I would consider vital – meaning that I think that at a bare minimum, everyone should use these.
- Messaging: Signal (Donate Here)
- E-mail Provider: Tutanota
- Browser: Firefox, or your preferred browser with the marked [*] extensions
- [*] Ad Blocking for Browser: uBlock Origin (Firefox and Chrome)
- [*] HTTPS Enforcement for Browser: HTTPS Everywhere
- [*] Protection Against Trackers for Browser: Privacy Badger
- [*] Reduce Tracking via Local Content Delivery: Decentraleyes (Firefox and Chrome)
- [*] Password Management for Browser: LastPass
Additional Software & Services:
These are links to software and services that I would consider to be more specialized or advanced, requiring some additional set up and configuration time when compared to the vital ones listed above.
- Desktop/Laptop: Xubuntu
- E-mail Provider: Mailbox
- [*] Reduce Tracking via Deleting Cookies: Self-Destructing Cookies
- [*] Increase Privacy via Easy Access to Privacy Settings: Privacy Settings
- Obtaining Bitcoins (NOT privacy-friendly, more user-friendly): Gemini
- Obtaining Bitcoins (more privacy-friendly, less user-friendly): LocalBitcoins – Note that I have not personally used this service, and am basing this recommendation off of the general sentiment of Reddit’s Bitcoin community.
- Storing Bitcoins: Trezor
- Firewall Firmware: pfSense
- Firewall for Android: NetGuard
- Wireless Router Firmware: LEDE
- Check a web-site’s SSL/TLS security: Qualys SSL Server Test
- Check a web-site’s CSP validity: CSP Validator
- Check a domain’s DNSSEC deployment: Verisign DNSSEC Analyzer