This is a good recipe for a family gathering. The first time I cooked this recipe it was for a Christmas dinner for 5 people (I actually used ~4.5 pounds of beef roast) and it turned out to be a perfect amount. All in all it was well-received and I have no complaints.
4 pounds beef roast
10.5 oz can beef consomme (found by condensed soups)
10.5 oz can condensed French onion soup
12 oz Guinness beer
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
2 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
6-8 slices provolone cheese
(1) Add beef and all liquid/seasoning ingredients to the crock pot and set on your desired setting (high or low).
(2) Cook for 5 hours (high) or 8-10 hours (low) and shred with forks and/or serrated knives when tender, removing chunks of fat.
(3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(4) Remove meat from crock pot, reserving juices, and pile meat on buns, topped with cheese.
(5) Bake buns (with the meat and cheese) in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted and buns warm.
(6) Serve immediately with reserved juices (au jus) for dipping.