If you’re looking for an ‘easy’ recipe – this is not it. This recipe was spawned from an even more complex recipe that I simplified – but it still ended up being difficult. Due to the mozzarella perhaps, the meatballs (as you’ll see in the picture below) did not hold their shape quite as well as I would’ve hoped. Also, it seems to me that at points during the cooking that I needed a second person to assist… so keep that in mind as well!
Overall though, the meatballs tasted great! I’d definitely make them again, just this time perhaps with a bigger chunk of time (maybe about an hour) set aside for preparation.
[INGREDIENTS – Sauce]
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 (24 ounce) cans of Spaghetti Sauce
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and black pepper to taste
[INGREDIENTS – Meatballs]
2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
(1) In a large skillet heat extra-virgin olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Spray 5 quart or larger slow cooker. Add onion and garlic and remaining sauce ingredients. Stir to combine. Cook the sauce on low for 5-6 hours.
(2) Preheat the oven to 450F.
(3) In a large bowl mix turkey, oats, basil, black pepper, garlic cloves and eggs. Shape into 2-inch balls (should get 14 to 16 meatballs). Press 1 small mozzarella ball into center of each meatball, sealed inside.
(4) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs; cook just until browned on all side. Once the meatballs are browned, place them on a baking sheet.
(5) Bake the meatballs for about 15 minutes at 450F.
(6) Add the meatballs to the sauce and let it cook for another hour or so on low.
I’m the worst photographer I know…